Apply for the position of Researcher / Assistant Researcher at SWOP (Full-time fixed term 24 month contract)
SWOP, a dynamic research Institute at the University of the Witwatersrand, is seeking an energetic, empathetic and self-directed Researcher or Asst Researcher to conduct research on the impact of coal mining on rural communities, and resistance to it. The initial contract is for a 24 month period, but may be renewed depending on performance and funding.
This position will be filled by someone who is flexible, hard-working and able to solve problems.In addition, SWOP is looking for a researcher with:
• experience of extended fieldwork in a rural setting
• good interpersonal skills, and the ability to work in a team
• excellent writing skills
• fluency in an African language
• a demonstrated commitment to and interest in environmental justice, as well as social justice more broadly
• empathy with marginalized rural communities
The successful applicant will:
• Conduct intensive fieldwork,including interviews and community workshops in different parts of South Africa, which may include periods living in rural communities;
• Analyse fieldwork and documentary data and write research reports based on this.
• Provide English translation and other field support for the project.
• Liaise with rural communities, government officials, NGOs, and other stakeholders
• Help organize community meetings.
Applicants for the Researcher position require a PhD in a relevant field, a publication record, and the ability to work independently.
Applicants for the Asst Researcher position require a minimum of an MA degree in a relevant field and the ability to work independently.
Applicants can find out more about SWOP at www.swop.org.za
How To Apply
To apply, submit a letter of motivation - clearly indicating which position you are applying for, detailed CV and the names and contact details of three referees (incl. e-mail addresses).
Internal employees are invited to apply directly on Oracle by following the path: iWits /Self Service application/”Apply for a job”
External applicants are invited to apply, by registering profile on the Wits i-recruitment platform located at https://irec.wits.ac.za and submitting your application.
The University is committed to employment equity. Preference may be given to appointable applicants from the underrepresented designated groups in terms of the relevant employment equity plans and policies of the University.
Closing Date: 2 July 2018
Please note that only applications via the website will be considered for shortlisting.
Correspondence will only be entered into with shortlisted candidates. The University reserves the right not to make an appointment or to re-advertise.
The University retains the right not to make an appointment and to verify all information provided by candidates; including qualifications and credit standing.